Northern Lights


This was the best night yet, in the Yukon.  I got a tip about the northern lights showing up this particular night.  It meant staying up late and then heading out into the bitter cold.  I needed to get away from the city lights and head out into the open wilderness.  At 10:45 pm I bundled up and went out to the end of my driveway, away from all the trees and looked up to see and incredible green rainbow arching over my home to the north.  Yep it was starting.  I went back in the house and then shut off all the lights to see if I could actually see them from my living room window.  I woke Brad up to see them and then warmed the truck up for a short drive north.  It was cold....about -28 but no wind...yeah! 


By the time I got to Horse Creek Road and parked....they were on fire.  
There really are no words to describe the experience of the sky changing colours
 and waves of light slowely swirling around in different directions.



 


















It was so cold I had to keep hopping in the car to warm up.
It took me a few tries to figure out how to get the image
but for my first try...I think I did pretty good. 
I am excited for the next opportunity, and to take Brad with me.
Next time I am going to actually lay on the ground to take it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment